Gambian President Yahya Jammeh is refusing to step down despite efforts to persuade him to leave office ahead of a deadline set by Senegal.Adama Barrow is due to be inaugurated as the new president on Thursday, and West African military forces are poised to move in. Mauritanian President Mohamed Ould Abdel Aziz met Mr Jammeh for last-minute talks before flying on to meet Senegal's PresidentMackySall
Senegalese troops remain stationed at the Gambian border, as the deadline for Mr Jammeh to stand down passed at midnight. The threat of military action is supported by Nigeria and other states in the region.
However Gambian army chief Ousman Badjie said his troops would not fight Senegalese forces
should they enter into the country, AFP news agency reports. "We are not going to involve ourselves militarily, this is a political dispute," he said. "I am not going to involve my soldiers in a stupid fight. I
love my men." Source BBC news
The Spokesperson of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Campaign Council, Kogi State, Faruk Adejoh-Audu says he cannot congratulate Kogi State Governor Yahaya Bello because Kogi State was turned into a war field during the Saturday election.Adejoh-Audu said the election was marred by violence, claiming that nine PDP members were killed during the election.He also explained how the PDP women leader of Ochadamu Ward in Ofu Local Government Area, Salome Abuh, was burnt to death in her home by political thugs.“I will have congratulated Governor Yahaya Bello but unfortunately, I cannot because he won no election. What he won was a war waged by him and the Nigerian Police, so I cannot congratulate him.“His claim that there were just pockets of violence is incorrect. There is hardly any ward in Kogi State except a few that did not experience violence.“Violence is not necessarily when people die, but in this case, people died. At least nine people died, all of them were PDP members. The 10th pe...
Comments
Post a Comment